Monday, January 25, 2010

To Chicory or Not To Chicory



I spent most of the week at a conference in New Orleans and it was my first time to experience chicory coffee – a bayou favorite. This brew is so thick that it clings to the side of your cup and delivers a taste unlike anything else I have ever tried. Ms. Darkroasted and I discussed the merits of chicory as we munched on shrimp and grits and Creole surf and turf at the Commanders Palace (I highly recommend it if you are near the Garden District of New Orleans.) The bottom line, I like chicory, she does not. She says it tastes like, “Coffee soaked in a wood sponge and then wrung out into your cup.” I have a more enlightened view. (Ms. Darkroasted rolls eyes as I type this)

 I think it is like taking rich coffee and carefully-aging it in a wood barrel similar to fine wine. As you take your first sip, you can savor the woody and pleasant finish that is strong without a harsh acidic bite. I drank the stuff all week and brought some home as well to use in my French press.

 The real test of this coffee will be whether or not I still like it away from the ambience of New Orleans. I am a big believer that experience can affect taste as much as the actual properties of the product. For example, will I like it quite as much when I am not drinking it while simultaneously stuffing beignets down my throat at the Café Du Monde?  We shall see. I would love to know your thoughts for those of you who have tasted this Big Easy delight.

 I also included below some pictures of me at the Café Du Monde, the view of the Mississippi River from our hotel room and some street musicians who were lighting up a version of “When the Saints Go Marching In” complete with a “Who Dat Say They Gonna Beat Dem Saints” bridge.



 

 

2 comments:

Kelly Cousineau said...

Is that last image with a Fisheye lense? Very cool. (And I do like chicory coffee.)

Dark Roasted D.C. said...

It is a fisheye. We love using that lense. The hardest part about using it is the fact that you have to get so close to your subject. I was maybe 3 feet from these guys when I shot the picture.

Post a Comment