Tuesday, November 24, 2009

McDonalds Coffee? I Think Not











These pictures are a snapshot of coffee from McDonald's in the old days and the premium roast brew that you can purchase fast-food style today. Can you see the difference between the two?

That's right, they put a semi-fancy cup on one. I love McDonalds, or Old McDonalds as my son calls it. You want good fries? It's the place to go. Care for a heart-attack burger with a mystery sauce that I am pretty sure is Thousand Island dressing? This is the spot. This is where my love ends and my disdain is ever growing for a coffee abomination that should not continue.

Calling this fast-food icon a destination spot for good coffee is like me suggesting H&R Block is a great place to get your tires rotated.

In a recent article, the new CEO of Starbucks Howard Shultz said, "McDonald's made us better." See story here. Howard, you have to stop it. You cannot compare your beloved chain with McDonald's. It cheapens us all. Just calling coffee a premium roast and putting it in a McCafe doesn't make it good. Unfortunately, the masses don't necessarily agree with me.

A recent Chicago Tribune story reports:

"Year to date through October, McDonald's overall U.S. coffee sales are up 28 percent over the same time a year ago, and more than 90 percent of that gain stems from McCafe drinks, Thompson said. Those drinks include all hot and iced espresso-based beverages, as well as hot chocolate."


Come on America, this is not premium. Please stop the madness and make it all go back to the way it used to be where coffee didn't come with a side of fries -- unless you were really desperate. 


What's your opinion? Drop me a comment. 

3 comments:

Daniel Humphries said...

Hi Dark Roasted. Nice blog!

I agree that McDonald's is definitely not the best place to get great coffee. But the new marketing campaign is more than just marketing. McDonald's is indeed getting a better grade of coffee than they used to. And in fact they are grinding on the spot now instead of using pre-ground coffee. I think there's been a marked improvement in quality.

Super specialty companies like Intelligentsia put pressure on specialty companies like Starbucks, which put pressure on mainstream companies like McDonald's, which puts pressure on the super low-end stuff like Folger's crystals or whatever. And like Schulz says, it works in the other direction too. I don't go there for coffee, but I am glad McDonald's is trying harder. It benefits everyone in the coffee chain in the long run.

Dark Roasted D.C. said...

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info about McDonalds. That is interesting stuff. I heard from a friend yesterday who works in the drink distribution industry that Dunkin Donuts is also trying to get bean supplies that are much higher end.

I think these fast food type joints are really trying to find the sweet spot between quality and financial efficiency. I have to believe their quality will cap out soon. But who knows.

I just can't stand this watered down version of coffee and when I hear people say it is their favorite, I automatically assume they have never had a good coffee.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

online pharmacy said...

Yeah i also think i guess not... but well... i prefer traditional coffee made like people in latin america, mac donalds sucks.

Post a Comment