Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Brew It Right Or Don't Waste the Beans

This is the last of my rants about the subpar Kona coffee stand offerings on the Big Island. I want to be clear this is not a rant about Kona coffee or the growers on the island. I consider this more of a challenge for would be coffee brewers everywhere.

As I have said before, I was seriously disappointed at the brewing ability of the various coffee stands I visited while in Kona. It reminded me that you can take the finest coffee in the world and brew it up expecting great results, but if your brewing process is flawed, it's just a waste. It's like buying a beautiful house and not putting any furniture inside -- all you have is a hollow shell.

There are lots of people smarter than me who have really studied the art of brewing and I thought I would share some of their sites with you. Check them out below. Also, I am starting a news series this week called, "What makes you better than Starbucks?"  Look for that soon.

Now for the links:

1 comments:

Coffee Messiah said...

This is my beef with SB also (I did work there for 2 yrs awhile back after we closed our coffeehouse) and that is, most people working there don't like coffee. No passion for it, although a good many drank fraps.

We have a friend who travels through the world, and always brings a press, since all countries export the good beans, although they can be found, although not brewed correctly.

Like anything, if you sell it, it helps to have a real passion for it, which most don't seem to do.

We have a local place, who get good beans, but either they still don't clean or adjust their grinder, or????????

We had high hopes for a local place and even gently tried to help.

Still a crappy end result, and stick to doing it ourselves at home.

Oh well.

Cheers!

Post a Comment